It usually takes me a good few weeks to get posting a recipe we love in our house. Sometimes months. We tried this recipe last night in our Instant Pot and instantly fell in love. This soup is like the Brad Pitt of soups – beautiful, rich and yummy! Even my picky and curmudgeonly father in law (I’ll tell you more about him sometime) went back to the kitchen and snuck more while he pretended to wash his plate.
It is a must try. We served with warm, cheesy garlic bread because a bit of garlic is never enough. Hope you love it as much as we did.
If you go Instant Pot, we did 5 minutes and quick release. Threw on that saute button and added the basil, kale and heavy cream at the end. It was perfect!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casing removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated three cheese tortellini
- 1/2 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add Italian sausage and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Stir in garlic, onion and Italian seasoning. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in chicken stock and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tortellini; cover and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in kale until wilted, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and basil until heated through, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately.